Friday, March 26, 2004

#1
I was on a school field trip in Rome. We had been divided up in groups of 4 to give presentations on...something. It was Tuesday & my group was scheduled to present on Thursday morning. Somehow I missed the part where we divided up tasks & in my absence I'd been assigned to sing an Ella Fitzgerald song (not sure which one, but it was fast tempo with lots of scatting) in front of a big audience. Unfortunately for me I only knew a handful of the words. But fortunately there was a library nearby where my prof. had put much of the relevant media on reserve. I went to the library which was packed with kids from my class all listening to things on headphones. I found the Ella Fitzgerald track on LP which was a big relief 'cause all the other kids were hogging up the CD players. I saw a record player on the other side of the library & started walking towards it. When I got about 10 feet away this heavy metal guy swooped in and put a metallica record on & started jamming out to it. I sat patiently to the side waiting for him to be done. But then I realized that he wasn't doing an assignment he was just listening to music for fun. I explained my situation to him & asked if I could use the record player for 20 minutes, just to copy down the lyrics & then I'd be done. He said "no problem". (WOKE UP DUE TO A BAD CASE OF NIGHT SWEATS)

#2
I'm standing in front of a huge crowd of people & I the music starts & I am suppose to sing some Ella Fitzgerald song that I don't know the words to because I woke up right when that nice kid was gonna let me use the record player. I realize I am dreaming & then Julia Child is there & she is giving me a hug. I am smoking a cigarette on a roof deck looking over the charles river at night, it feels like spring.