Friday, June 18, 2004

First: my girlfriend and I were both brand new professors at some small college in NH. Since we were new we both had to teach in the same room at the same time. There were two chalkboards perilously close together and our boss was there to observe us. I had apparently been hired to teach Meteorology and was nervous because I didn't know shit about it.

Second: In bar in Boston w/Mark - a barbershop/bar. I for haircut before some event, him keeping me company. I am shown to several barber's chairs but it takes forever. While in chair 3 very cute vaguely hipsterish yuppies start smelling Mark's shoulder - he has pretzels in the shoulder pocket of his jacket and they are attracted by the scent. Mark & I are bemused. I'm moved to the bar itself for my haircut but still doesn't come so I'm given a shot of whiskey. One of the cute women says we're "such cute things" or something to that effect. I ask her what she would say if we described them thus. The cute 2 think nothing of it but the third, who is homelier and nicer, says "it would imply that I'm just going to go home and go to bed" mkeaning objectifying them which was my point. Mark meanwhile is hanging out with Aaron Kiely and Jason Noble and other hipsters. We might be in NYC. I'm watching the Video Music Awards to see the Beastie Boys protest. Mark joins us (the homely one and me) and says he saw that Fuckhead's stereo was worth $5 grand. I explain Fuckhead and his stereo to the girl and say we should sell it. It's a really old boombox with detachable speakers and a walkman. Still no haircut. We watch the Beastie Boys and I manage to clear my throat of what was irritating it, which turns out to have been two small pieces of glass.